From shopping to dining to traveling, smartphones and mobile devices have become an inextricable thread in the fabric of modern existence. And with the introduction of digital therapeutics – an emerging branch of therapeutic intervention – our mobile devices will soon become a tool for therapy and an integral part of health care and wellness programs. Why? Because the demand for personalized, value-based, and on-the-go treatment for chronic diseases and mental health concerns is increasing. Thus, more people will turn to digital therapeutics to address a multitude of health problems. And based on the benefits it has to offer, digital therapeutics has the potential to make health care more accessible and affordable to anyone with a smartphone.
Digital Therapeutics for Better Health
On average, American consumers check their mobile devices 52 times per day. Experts saw a way to make use of people’s preoccupation with mobile devices. Why not use smartphones and mobile devices as a vehicle for health and wellness? Experts leverage consumer’s fascination with digital technology by integrating cognitive-based therapy with digital technology. Instead of turning away from devices, digital therapeutics are turning to smartphones and mobile devices for better health.
Effective and successful management of chronic illnesses such as diabetes, obesity, and heart diseases can only be achieved through meaningful behavioral changes. Indeed, a visit to the hospital and consultation with a trusted health professional has its merits. But significant health improvements can only be achieved if the patient is receiving proper environmental/social support. A patient with a chronic disease needs to get timely cues and reminders always to place his health at the center of his choices. It will also help a lot if the patient is receiving real-time insights into his condition.
In Detail: The Potential of Digital Therapeutics and Companies Thriving in the Space
Digital therapeutics proffers game-changing benefits around convenience, cost, and efficacy. As the saying goes, health is wealth. The capability to work and earn diminishes when people get sick. It also goes without saying, the cost of treatment and medicines, especially with chronic diseases, can be expensive. With the help of digital therapeutics, apps can help optimize the effectiveness of medications.
Similarly, patients can interact with a healthcare professional through the app, minimizing hospital visits. As digital therapeutics apps use cognitive behavioral therapy to reinforce healthy habits, patients can improve their quality of life. There are even reports that indicate the reversal of symptoms and recovery from chronic diseases.
Without a doubt, digital therapeutics is the next digital revolution to watch out for. As digital therapeutics gains ground, innovative companies join the space in providing consumers with new methods in the prevention, management, and treatment of diseases:
- Omada Health is a digital care program designed to support individuals at risk for or living with chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, and high cholesterol. Get help achieving personal goals such as increasing energy, lowering blood pressure, and losing weight using this digital therapeutics app.
- Akili Interactive is a digital therapeutics app that aims to improve cognitive impairments such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), major depressive disorder (MDD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD), multiple sclerosis (MS). With the use of neuroscience, the app utilizes high-end interactive video games target and treat cognitive impairments.
- Oleena is a digital therapeutics app developed by Voluntis. Oleena is a digital companion designed for cancer patients. As a digital therapeutics app, Oleena is the first oncology-related symptom management and remote patient monitoring technology.
- reSet by Pear Therapeutics is a digital therapeutics app designed for individuals with substance use disorder. By providing digital cognitive behavioral therapy lessons round the clock, patients assisted with their journey to recovery every step of the way.
- FreeSpira aims to help people suffering from panic attacks through innovative, evidence-based, and drug-free solution. Using FreeSpira digital therapeutics app, patients are trained during panic attacks to normalize breathing and reset CO2 levels.
- QuitGenius is the digital therapeutics app for individuals who are trying to quit smoking. The app provides unlimited one-on-one coaching and guided sessions to pinpoint triggers. QuitGenius also uses mobile connected breath tester to track progress in real-time.
- Sleepio by Big Health is a digital therapeutics app for insomnia and sleep deprivation. For individuals having trouble sleeping, Sleepio is a helpful digital therapeutics app. Using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), the app offers practical techniques to address sleep and other mental health issues such as anxiety and depression.
The state of our health is an overall report of our lifestyle and choices. While genetics and other factors may have an impact on our health, the majority of chronic diseases and mental health issues are a result of unhealthy choices. The use of cognitive behavior therapy has been popular among health professionals in addressing a variety of maladaptive behaviors. With the benefits offered by digital therapeutics and companies in the space such as Sleepio, Omada, and Akili, patients are getting better options and more help in their pursuit of health and wellness.