There is a newcomer on the block that is taking America by storm. The name is kratom. It is a tropical evergreen tree, indigenous to Southeast Asia with various strains grown in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, and Papua New Guinea. Kratom comes from the coffee family and was a huge part of Southeast Asians’ traditional ancient medicine. Natives in the region have been utilizing kratom benefits in treating diarrhea, fever, wounds and sooth aches and pains. Some chew the leaves for energy while some locals use it for its sedating property, as well as the popularity of kratom as to curb opium addiction.
While the locals in the region have a long history of using kratom, Western countries, including the United States, has just recently discovered this psychoactive herbal plant. Kratom benefits, application, and usage have just recently reached the western shores.
Understanding the Kratom Effects
Scientifically-named as Mitragyna speciosa, kratom also goes by other names such as biak, ketum, kakuam, ithang, and thom. There’s been a lot of controversy swirling around kratom effects due to its opioid-like reactions. Its two active alkaloid chemical constituents–mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine (7-HMG) leads to the comparison between kratom and opioid. Alkaloids work by attaching themselves to the brain’s opioid receptors. Once attached, alkaloid chemicals such as mitragynine and 7-HMG have the potent power to inhibit pain.
There is a regulation to substances with alkaloid chemicals because they can exert pharmacological reactions on the brain’s opioid system. Despite this restriction, more people are beginning to appreciate the benefits kratom has to offer.
A Few Notes on Forms, Uses, Strains, and Kratom Benefits
Kratom strains are usually defined based on the place where they were grown. However, experts on kratom have contrasting beliefs on whether its vein color can also spell a difference on kratom effects. Here are some known effects:
- Thai kratom from Thailand is by far the most popular strain. The Thai kratom effects include heightened mental focus, sustained energy, and potent analgesic property.
- On the other hand, the Borneo kratom gives a sedative effect. The green and red vein varieties are popular for their euphoric, painkilling, and addiction-treating qualities.
- The Indonesian kratom strain, particularly the red vein variety is known to provide longer pain relief.
- An all-natural relief for stress and anxiety and pain relief may be achieved from the green and red varieties of Bali.
- The green Malay strain gives a number of kratom effects and benefits including energy enhancement, pain relief, anxiety relief, focus improvement.
- The strain is known to have the strongest effect, Maeng Da enhances focus, gives you an energy boost and lifts the mood.
- As an herbal supplement, kratom is usually consumed as tea – dried or powdered; added in food, and as an extract in pill or capsule form. Some people also chew or smoke the leaves.
- One also needs to note that the kratom effects are dependent on the dosage. In low dosage, kratom acts as a stimulant – leading to an energized feeling. In high concentration, the effect is more analgesic and opioid-like, hence the sedating and numbing effect.
Welcome to the Kratom Boom Town
Undoubtedly, kratom is currently enjoying a surge in popularity. Kratom and kava houses, as well as online stores, are emerging across the country. Whether it’s your first time to try kratom or you’ve been enjoying the kratom benefits for a while, there is a growing number of places online and offline where you can get your kratom experience.
Here is a list of just some of the companies that are making Kratom big business:
- The Mad Hatters Tea Bar is home to the Ethnobotanical Tea Bar in St. Petersburg, Florida. Clients get their fill in the Alice in Wonderland-inspired bar. The Mad Hatters Tea Bar is an award-winning Kava Bar jam-packed with exciting menu options during weekly events.
- The Kapua Kava Bar in Fort Myers Florida is where you will find “The Good Times You’ll Remember.” Kapua features the finest kratom strains from Thailand, Borneo, Bali, and These strains are available in capsule forms. A recent addition to their offerings is the Kratom Cold Brew Teas with three exciting flavors. These are Berry White, Blood Orange Green, and Strawberry Red.
- The Nakava Bar in Boca Raton Florida is the first kratom and kava Bar in the US. It has been in business for 14 years. The bar’s Kratom Teas and Extracts can be enjoyed as a classic drink or on tap. People wanting an extra kick get the Extract Shot or the Concentrated Kratom Shot.
- The Kratom Capsules is an online store that aims to bring the best quality kratom products to their customers. The website offers powder and capsule varieties from a wide range of strains. The best part of this online store is that it provides extensive information about kratom – from effects and benefits, history and regulations and potency based on dosage.
- The Kats Botanicals is an online store that sells kratom in powder, extract and crushed leaf form. They offer a wide range of strain including Maeng Da Kratom, Bali Kratom, Green Vein, Red Vein, and White Vein. Looking to get more information about kratom? Kats Botanicals has a guidebook that answers questions like how to use kratom and which strain is best for a specific purpose.
The popularity of kratom as an herbal alternative for synthetic painkillers and as an all-natural performance-enhancing substance is gaining momentum. While there is still a lot more room to expand the science and research around kratom effects, the positive reviews from early adopters hold much promise to society as being a safer alternative to Opiates. Could the kratom market be the next cannabis?