By now it’s old news that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Research shows that eating breakfast helps boost metabolism, thus allowing the body to burn calories more efficiently. Skipping breakfast deprives the brain and body of the necessary fuel it needs to focus and function properly. Missing breakfast increases the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart diseases. But time isn’t always the breakfast eater’s friend, so the demand for options for a quick and healthy breakfast is on the rise. How are food producers and companies responding to this growing need?
Welcome to the age of the “deskfast”. A combination of “desk” and “breakfast”, the terms involves eating the first meal of the day at a work desk. More than the clever fusion of words, deskfast underscores the rising need for a healthy breakfast on the go. It also opens the door for some bold solutions.
The Rise of the Deskfast Eaters
Recently, a new breed of speed eaters found its way to the realm of our time-strapped society: Deskfast eaters.
Breakfast—an essential meal—is an underserved part of the food industry. When there is a thriving food industry that caters to snacks, confectionaries, fast food, and frozen or packaged food, consumers just cannot wrap their heads around the lack of choices around breakfast.
Most people don’t have the luxury of time to prepare traditional breakfast meals at home. Apart from the sandwiches served at delis, bakeries and coffee shops, consumers’ options for healthy breakfast on the go is limited. So much so that many people are turning to dull cereal bars, bland yogurts and DIY overnight oats for an easily prepared, quick and healthy breakfast fix.
The Growing Demand for Quick and Healthy Breakfast Choices
However, we may already be seeing the beginnings of progress in this space as early innovators and food companies are recognizing and responding to the need.
- MUSH Overnight Oats is at the forefront of the healthy breakfast on the go Founders Ashley Thompson and Kat Thomas, just like other consumers, were looking for a clean label food option. Thompson shares, “We really just want to make something super satiating, super delicious, with a good macronutrient profile using whole foods.” True to this mission, Mush offers a range of on-the-go, chilled overnight oatmeal. Mush uses almond milk in soaking the oats and fortifies it with dates. They then add sea salt as a flavor base.
- Morning Go-Kits is PepsiCo-owned Quaker Oats’ response to consumers’ call for quick and healthy breakfast. The kit contains three individually-packed components—yogurt, Quaker Flats and a trail mix, which nutrition-conscious consumers can eat in one go or consume throughout the day. Quaker Oats’ Morning Go-Kits come in three combinations: the Quaker Cranberry Almond Breakfast Flats, Strawberry Greek Yogurt, and Berry Almond Trail Mix; Quaker Banana Honey Nut Breakfast Flats, Vanilla Greek Yogurt, and Raisin Nut & Seed Trail Mix; and Quaker Blueberry Nut Breakfast Flats, Blueberry Greek Yogurt, and Walnut Peach Apple Trail Mix.
- Kellogg’s foray in the healthy breakfast on the go arena is embodied in their Special K® Breakfast To-Go Shake. It’s convenient, portable, delicious and satisfying. It comes in a variety of flavors: Milk Chocolate, French Vanilla, Strawberry Banana, Rich Chocolate, Strawberry, Chocolate Mocha, Raspberry Cheesecake and Vanilla Cappuccino.
- Joydböl is a brand under Kellogg Co. Joyböl is a shelf-stable cup of ingredients, including granola clusters, nuts, and seeds, which can be enjoyed by adding cold water, milk or other non-dairy alternatives. This quick and healthy breakfast innovation combines nutrition, on-the-go vibe, and quirky packaging—thus, bringing the “joy back to breakfast”. Joyböl comes in five flavors – Mango Coconut Chia, Strawberry Almond Quinoa Crunch, Matcha Berry, Superberries & Aҫai and Chocolate Hazelnut.
- Mann Packing Co. Inc. is joining the quick and healthy breakfast ring through the latest addition in their line of flavors for Nourish Bowls®. The California-based Mann Packing Company specializes in veggie-based meals. The Nourish Bowls Breakfast Flavors include Denver Scramble and Fiesta Scramble. Just add two eggs to enjoy a warm, satisfying and nutritious breakfast in less than 5 minutes.
- Weetabix On The Go Breakfast Drink’s slogan in their website states, “A proper breakfast. Bottled.” True enough, each bottle contains a sufficient amount of protein, fiber, and calories to kick-start your day. It comes in two variants—original and protein—and both can be enjoyed in a multitude of flavors. For the original, there’s Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla and Banana. For the protein variant, Strawberry &Raspberry, Chocolate and
- Mamma Chia Organic Chia Energy Beverages beverage is an energizing line of plant-based drinks that combine the nutrients from Chia, caffeine from organic yerba mate and organic coffee bean. Each promising bottle taps on the power of Chia Seeds—one of the most nutrient-packed food on the planet. It comes in two flavors, Blackberry Blast, and Raspberry Razz.
- Noka Superfood Smoothie Pouches was the brainchild of Ryan Werner and Adam Steiner—bike enthusiasts based in California. The founders believed that consumers deserve access to healthy, whole fruits and veggies that are easy to consume, pack and take anywhere. Noka Superfood Smoothie Pouches are 100 percent organic, have no added sugar and need no refrigeration. Plus the flavors are interesting too. It comes in Blueberry/Beet, Mango/Coconut, Sweet Potato/Goji and Blackberry Vanilla.
No Skipping Breakfast Anymore
Nutritionists were initially appalled by the thought of not eating a proper or traditional breakfast at home. Mothers probably shuddered at the same thought, too. But a quick and healthy breakfast at your desk is better than skipping the most important meal of the day.
With all these available choices nowadays, consumers can get a quick and healthy breakfast comprised of lean protein, enough fiber and healthy calories.
Indeed, breakfast shouldn’t be skipped anymore. As more companies boldly respond to the growing need for quick and healthy breakfast choices on the go, we can look forward to more energized mornings ahead.